José Adimilson Barbosa da Silva

On 7 February 2003, an attack on the Xucuru people occurred in the municipality of Pesqueira-PE, where two indigenous people were murdered and a Cacique was severely injured.

It is suspected that a group of gunmen linked to the farmers of the region waited for the truck of the community, that was being driven by Cacique Marcos. Ialong the way, a herd of animals was purposely released to stop the truck. As soon as the truck stopped several shots were fired by three men. Two indigenous people died: Joseilson José dos Santos and José Adimilson Barbosa da Silva.

Adimilson was 20 years old.

Before these murders, another sixteen murders had already occurred against the Xucuru people as a result of a conflict over land tenure. Only 30% of the territory was in possession of the indigenous when the crime occurred. The remaining 70% were mainly occupied by farms.

If you would like to provide a personal recollection, please email us at:





Date of Killing:07/02/2003

Previous Threats:No information

Type of Work:Community leader

Sector Detail:Indigenous Peoples' Rights, Land Rights

More information:Front Line Defenders

1This database records an individual's chosen gender identity. If they do not self-identify as male or female they can use the option of recording other/neither or use the term NBGI (non binary gender identity).